We strive to do our part to care for our 'āina and minimize our carbon footprint. Here are a handful of the environmentally-minded practices we maintain -
- All our to-go boxes, cups, and cutlery are made from 100% compostable material.
- We use all-natural soaps and cleaning products as much as possible.
- We believe in serving food that is grown here, not flown here, sourcing locally as much as possible. Our kitchen manager estimates that 85% of our ingredients are locally sourced.
- We recycle all eligible waste and give our food waste to a local pig farmer to use as slop.
- The Surfrider Foundation has recognized Hilo Bay Cafe as an ocean-friendly restaurant.
- Our used cooking oil is recycled through Pacific Biodiesel as a part of their Restaurants for Renewables program.